Contact: Emily Weatherly
Cuero, Texas: Cuero Regional Hospital (CRH) completed its fiscal year, September 30, 2020.
As a tax district, we wanted to share our successes, challenges and plans for the new fiscal year. Of course COVID was the major challenge for our facility; however, we remained strong to care for our community. The staff of Cuero Regional Hospital has been ever grateful for all of the community support with goodies, snacks and the parade!
Cuero Regional Hospital had a very busy fiscal year 2020 (October 1, 2019 – September 30, 2020) with significant progress in many important areas. Here are the highlights.
- Hospital admissions down 2%; ER visits down 2% and clinic visits down 6.9%
- 2% increase year over year in babies delivered Cuero Home Health visits grew 2% year over year.
- Maintained ownership of 16 nursing homes as part of the QIPP program run by the state of Texas
- Obtained and performed COVID 19 tests on over 2,500 community members
- Converted the Intensive Care Unit to a negative pressure unit to safely care for COVID patients
- Obtained multiple pieces of equipment to support the care and treatment of COVID patients
- Initiated telephonic visits and drive through lab testing so that patients could be cared for, yet reduce their opportunity for exposure.
- Obtained 200 doses of Moderna vaccine on December, 23, 2020. All healthcare workers at the hospital and clinics who wanted the vaccine were vaccinated, along with supporting our police and sheriff’s office, local dental and chiropractic offices, Yoakum Hospital staff, and Otto Kaiser Hospital per the Tier 1A phase of distribution. The initial 200 doses were administered by January 4, 2021.
- FY20 Budget was achieved despite COVID challenges and without and Government COVID money
- FY20 ended with nearly a 29% increase in Earnings over prior year despite a 28% increase in bad debt; this represents a 160% improvement since beginning the relationship with Methodist Healthcare System
- Benefits of the Methodist relationship continue to be supply savings; education opportunities for staff and physicians and policy support
Service and Community Support:
- Bill Craig, Cardiologist, began seeing both inpatients and outpatients in the Outpatient Specialty Clinic in July 2019 and, in June of 2020, Cuero Health launched Cardiopulmonary Rehab with Dr. Craig serving as the program’s medical director.
- In June 2020, Cuero Regional Hospital launched 3D Mammography to its patients needing a mammogram. With the new Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam at Cuero Regional Hospital, patients receive the most accurate mammogram available in our area. This exam revolutionizes how breast cancer is detected by providing a better option for women of all breast densities compared to 2D alone.
- Cuero Regional Hospital partnered with DaVita Victoria Acute Dialysis to provide in-patient dialysis services to patients that require it. The new in-patient program launched in May 2020.
- Cuero Health/Cuero Regional Hospital received a gift of $10,000 from ConocoPhillips in late June specifically for COVID-19 relief. Cuero Regional Hospital used the funding to purchase an ultraviolet light that disinfects several key areas of the hospital, including the surgical suites.
- Nick Lemley, DO, began at Cuero Medical Clinic in August 2020. He is Family Practice OB.
- Kevin Denton, DO, joined Goliad Family Practice in August 2020 and is Family Practice. We wished Dr. Mark Heard a happy retirement from Goliad Family Practice with a farewell small reception at the practice.
- Dale Denton, DO, joined Yorktown Medical Clinic in August 2020 as we wished Dr. Gordon Barth a happy retirement with a community appreciation parade on August 14, 2020.
- Supported infrastructure projects to expand the electrical capacity of the organization ($1.5m) and improve the IT Infrastructure ($1.8m)Successfully recertified as a Basic Trauma Level IV Emergency Center.
- Cuero Regional Hospital received the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association and continued stroke diagnosis and treatment program to provide timely care to stroke patients. Completed Stroke re-certification with no recommendations – providing care to 77 patients with stroke symptoms
- Cuero Regional Hospital EMS has received the American Heart Association’s Mission: Lifeline® EMS Gold Plus Award for 2020. The award is for implementing quality improvement measures for the treatment of patients who experience severe heart attacks. Cuero Regional Hospital EMS learned they had been recognized with this award on Thursday, May 21 of National EMS Week.
- Featured in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals 2021 guidebook
- Several members of Cuero Regional Hospital Board of Directors represented CRH as the Hospital was recognized for its 50th anniversary milestone at the Texas Hospital Association’s Annual Conference and Expo on Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020.
- CRH celebrated 2020 Hospital Week albeit differently with the support of our community. Drive through picnic pick up, various awards and give aways during the week to support our staff who have worked so hard- Cuero Health also celebrated with a 50th anniversary theme raffle with proceeds going to local food pantry CAMAL House, located in Cuero. $1,550 was raised in the week period thanks to the generosity of hospital employees.
- In-home sleep studies were launched in June of 2020, offering this critical test to be performed in the comfort of the patient’s home.
- Provided 264 flu shots to the community
- Cuero Health staff donated 1,256 hours of volunteer time to DeWitt County despite COVID Sponsored free, public health education events to the community, topics included: Stop the Bleed, Breathe Right Asthma Class, Childbirth Classes, Diabetic and asthma education offered throughout the year in partnership with Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Office.
- Presented several health events, including the 2020 Heart & Sole Walk, Runway for a Cure: Breast Cancer Awareness Fashion Show virtual event and the 2020 TurkeyTrot. We experienced record turnouts for each, especially given that both Runway and TurkeyTrot were virtual events. Cuero Health also launched New Year. Fresh Start. Community Walk thru Christmas in the Park in January 2020 with a great community turnout.
- The Runway for a Cure Breast Cancer Awareness Fashion Show & Luncheon raised $2500 to support mammograms for those who cannot afford them and the 2020 Virtual Turkey Trot 5K raised $5,000 for Cuero Turkeyfest Association.
- Hospital department leaders attended various leadership training opportunities with Methodist, including charge nurse courses, quarterly leadership training, Information Technology, and Human Resources
- Methodist hosted several of our obstetrics staff for hands-on-training in one of their busy labor & delivery hospitals
Major initiatives for Fiscal Year 2021 (other than a continuing emphasis on quality care and patient experiences in every service)
- Launched The MedSpa at Cuero Wellness Center in December 2020. Dr. Dale Denton serves at medical director and the MedSpa offers VIPeel, facials, peels, waxing, Botox, Juvederm and more. Book appointments and learn more at MedSpaCuero.com
- Launched efforts to streamline the COVID vaccine distribution process, including an online sign up waiting list at cueroregionalhospital.org, as well as a phone line to leave a message to sign up.
- Improved operational efficiencies focusing on making it easier for patients to navigate the hospital and clinics
- Enhance our IT infrastructure to support a new electronic medical record that will support improved security, efficiencies and patient safety
- Staff and leader education to support local initiatives, upward mobility and succession planning
- Enhance women’s services to continue to support pregnant women and their growing families
- Initiate additional telehealth services such as endocrinology and pulmonology
- Enhance partnership with Texas A&M on programs to support women’s cancer detection and addiction therapy
- Continuing new health community events like New Year. Fresh Start. Community walk which was held on Jan. 2, 2021. Stay tuned for Gala 2020! It will be held on the grounds of Cuero Regional Hospital in April 2021.
- Continued community educational offerings - follow our Facebook page and website for updates!